Today was SoCal Baby Show in downtown Los Angeles, brought to us by Baby Bellies & Beyond, BuyBuy Baby, & Huggies… i think.
I’ll have some more in-depth posts on the event and the products there in the week ahead. Wanted to get out some quick hits before feeding time tonight:
- I have NEVER IN MY LIFE been asked to provide my OB-GYN, delivering physician, or income level when buying a ticket to an event. These questions were REQUIRED fields, as well as some others that could only be answered “N-A” when answering as a man. Very off-putting & tone-deaf first touch with the event.
- I also saw ZERO publicity for this particular event in the blogosphere & social media. In fact, I only heard about it because I emailed a specific brand a few weeks ago about where I could find their items, and they responded saying they would be in town for this show.
- HIGH-Larious – with streets virtually empty, The Reef (name of building hosting the event) was still charging $20 flat for their parking lot. We waved at the parking attendant and drove 200 more feet to a 6-hour parking meter which cost us $2 for the max time allowed.
- In keeping with the weird nature of this particular event, it was hard to tell from signage who were the actual presenting sponsors (& what were the official hashtags for social media sharing). It seemed like Munchkin Inc. had more people post with their hashtag #itsthelittlethings than @BabyBelliesTV, @BuyBuyBaby, & Huggies combined!
- Our raffle tickets were #206 & #207 and we showed up an hour after general admission had started.
- The floor seemed empty; we kept circling back and encountering the same individuals browsing. While this would have bothered me as a vendor looking for dedicated ROI, it turned out to work in our favor. In our two and a half hours on the floor we were able to connect with every vendor there which fit our profile and have meaningful discussions with the principals at each brand. Look for some fun & deep insights on individual brands in upcoming blog posts.
- My fellow blogger Joël & I had more fun at this Baby Show as attendees than we have at any past event, so ignore everything I said above!
- I won this awesome Britax B-Ready Stroller!